Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[GENERAL ELECTION, 1672] Parliamentary Elections Thread
[Image: Euran_Destiny_Party.png]
Euran Destiny Party
SUSA, VALORIA - His Sublimity, the Agha Beg, today toured the resettlement tenements of the outer suburbs of Susa and witnessed for himself the unequal distribution of wealth in the city, even as it experiences a boom in oil exports of the like not seen since the days of the Shahs. "Is it right that the oil men live in palatial villas with golden taps when their workers lack even an indoor toilet?" The Agha Beg said, in reference to having been told of a street where houses had not even been linked into the city's sewerage system and where four or more households were consequently obliged to share one insanitary 'outhouse' for their needs.

"In the midst of so much new found wealth we need no longer tolerate the squalor of ages past!" The Agha Beg exclaimed later on, after gracing a civic function attended by local worthies and dignitaries. The Agha Beg used the opportunity  of taking to the podium, after some light refreshment, to propose a one-time levy on businesses operating in Susa in order to fund urgently required the repair and refurbishment of the city's legacy Babkhan and Ashkenatzim infrastructure. "We bless you for your good fortune in this present moment," the Beg said whilst addressing the leading lights of the local business community, "And may fortune continue to smile upon you in the years ahead. But know this - those workers upon whom you rely, in the supply chain, in the service sectors, live in the most abject conditions; without electricity, without water. Let us not be so blinded by our success that we ignore the plight of the righteous poor who are all around us. Let us not fall into the trap of making our political discourse one of petty managerialism, of tinkering with the margins, when it is bold and far-reaching action that is required.  To return to the theme of fortune, dearest sahibs; Fortune is a fickle mistress, she never attends for long before Fate leads her on to some fresh paramour. I ask for voluntary contributions to our Common Purpose Programme for Susa not only for the treasury of merit that your generosity will earn for your immortal souls in the eyes of the Highest Divinity, but also on the more practical grounds that good sound infrastructure will endure and be of benefit to us all even long after the presently prevailing economic conditions have passed." 

After his speech, well-received by those present, even by those who might expect to incur a hit to their profit margins in pursuit of the worthy cause espoused, His Sublimity was asked about the vexing question of the drought conditions afflicting the inland provinces.

"This is Eura, Sahib. If we were to panic every time we were a little short of water we would have given ourselves up to despair long ago."  Asked if this meant that he was not taking the problem seriously, the Agha Beg turned to the well-wisher, who - from the impertinence of his questioning - he now surmised to have been a journalist all the long. "Sahib, by my salt, you offend my honour. May all who dwell under the ever-watchful eye of the Highest Divinity attest to the truth that the question of water is no laughing matter for any Euran. But we have, through generations of hard experience, come to learn how to live within the constraints of the harsh world into which we have been born. I have spoken to many of your engineers and planners, Sahib, and I must say that it seems to me that, for more of them than not, they carry in their mind's eye ancestral images of the lush and verdant landscapes of Cibola or Keltia. Pleasant places those may be, but they are not Eura! Now I read that these planners are fussing because the reservoirs are dipping. All I can say to that is drill! Drill for the aquifers beneath our feet which filled with pristine waters in ages long past. And if those are not enough to sate your appetite? Well then! There is the River Nouradin, groaning under its toxic load of irradiated mud and heavy metals. Set your geniuses to that matter! Treat that filthy water as you would salt water taken from the ocean, build vast networks of broilers and evaporators - boil away the toxicity so that all that is left  of the water drawn off is nought but steam which can be condensed and purified with chlorine and under UV lights. You might wish to consider desalination plants along our coast as well - I am sure the honourable Sahibs would be amenable to supporting another infrastructure project in Susa if this one came with government funding. Finally, if those are all long term fixes to immediate problems, how about we insist that our trading partners, Constancians, Krasnocorians, and now seemingly Batavians, include bulk consignments of water as part of their payment - how about their tankers arrive laden with the precious gift of water before they are permitted to depart with their sought cargo of our black gold! Think upon that if you will!"

With that, accompanied by the cheers of his Fidai, the Agha Beg rendered salaams to all present and departed for the next stage of his tour of the province.

The journalist who had intruded upon the Agha Beg's time was admonished by those members of the Party Cadre in Susa who were in attendance. After a long discussion, the journalist now professes to be more mindful and objective when it comes to matters pertaining to His Sublimity.
SEYDLITZ BUILDS ON RECONSTRUCTION BACKGROUND

[Image: blue-bloods-will-estes.png]

[font]Speech given at the Aldurian Capital Plaza, with video recordings distributed via the Liberty and Democracy Party volunteers[/font]

"Good citizens of Alduria!

"My name is Gerhardt Eugen Seydlitz. I am an urban planner by profession*, which means that I design cities and urban spaces for a living, and ensure that those who live in the cities have everything that they need to be productive. I am also relatively young, and single, for those who may be asking, which explains my idealism and optimism for the future.

"You all have heard by now the report from the Central Water Commission that says that we are now down to almost-critical levels with respect to water. This is certainly troubling news, but what troubles me more is that no one in the present government has seen fit to warn the decision-makers until it was too late! 

Aquifer-tapping is a dangerous short-term idea that only results in sinkholes and ruined settlements.

"We must have a government that is proactive and responsive. If you see fit to elect me into office, one of my first priorities will be to create a Department in charge of Disaster Risk Reduction and Emergency Management. The actual name can come later, and I encourage everyone to nominate a short and suitable name.

This government department will be in charge of civil defense, ensuring that our government is sufficiently prepared to protect the citizens in the event of natural or man-made events, and more importantly, to promote and sustain a culture of preparedness throughout the nation. We must also ensure that our living conditions are sustainable, and that we reduce wastage of resources and strive for efficiency across the board, throughout the nation. We cannot, and will not be caught unprepared for these eventualities ever again

In a past life, I used to be the Minister for Reconstruction and Infrastructure for the Royal Caputian Government. It was my charge not only to build things, but to ensure that what is built is constructed in the right place, within the right timeframe, with the right materials, and within budget. Government is obligated to ensure that the people's money is not wasted. You can check my service record. I not only say what I will do, but I, more importantly, do as I say.

Alfonso Velez and the Liberty and Democracy Party work for you! Aldurian citizens first!

*I don't really remember but I think this is what I put in the Caputian bio, please fact-check me 
[Image: unknown.png]
Tzvi Barak
(Former) Leader of the New Center Party
Lord of Rakija
THE ELECTION IS OVER!

RESULTS HAVE BEGUN!

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cebef5f396b386763...=giphy.gif]

Please join us for the live results chat in the Aldurian Discord server.

Results will also be posted in the forums later today.