Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Speaker's Office
[Image: 220px-Birgitta_J%C3%B3nsd%C3%B3ttir_2015.jpg]

MARIA REJO, SPEAKER OF PARLIAMENT
SPEAKER'S OFFICE

Need to bring a matter to the Speaker's attention? You can reach the Speaker here for any questions, to flag issues, etc. which don't belong on the floor of Parliament. The Speaker may also make announcements here.
Maria Rejo
Liberty & Democracy Party
Speaker of Parliament
ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE SPEAKER
Honourable Colleagues,

At present, there are no Rules of Order established for our Parliament. While the Government has submitted R-001 to create such Standing Orders, such a resolution will take several days to deliberate and vote on. Nevertheless, it is important that there is some framework for me, as Speaker, to conduct business. After consideration, I have decided that the fairest and most efficient way to proceed is to consider the Rules of Order outlined in R-001 as "Temporary Rules of Order". Once some form of Rules of Order are formally approved by Parliament, they will immediately come into force over the current draft of R-001. Colleagues with any questions or concerns should feel free to contact me directly.

Sincerely,

Maria Rejo
Speaker of Parliament
Maria Rejo
Speaker of Parliament
ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE SPEAKER
Honourable Colleagues,

A bill has been submitted by the National Congress for Social Democracy with the support of the Communist Party of Alduria that has been designated for Opposition Week. I wish to alert Colleagues that Standing Order Section IV rule 4 states:
Quote:
4. Twice per session, the Prime Minister shall designate a week to be “Opposition Week”. The Official Opposition party shall be allocated 2 bills (or other legislative item) to present to Parliament, and the 2nd largest party of Parliament not in Government shall be allocated 1. The Government shall not introduce a bill during this week unless leave is given by an Opposition Party or by unanimous consent. In the even the Official Opposition only introduces one or fewer bills, the 2nd largest party may present 2 bills.

Therefore, the only two parties that may submit bills for Opposition Week are the EDP and the National-Liberal Alliance. Nothing in the Standing Orders would prevent one of these two parties from placing this bill on the Opposition Week docket, however.

Members are also reminded that there are alternate ways for members to bring Legislative items to the floor through the Private Member's Bill process. This process is governed by Section IV, Rule 3 of the Standing Orders which state:

Quote:3. Each week, up to two legislative items may be brought forward at the request of the Government, with up to one additional legislative being allotted to a Private Members bill (or other legislative item) that has been endorsed by at least 35% of the Members of Parliament to be placed by the floor as determined by the Speaker;

If there are any questions or concerns about this matter or any other, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Maria Rejo
Speaker of Parliament
Maria Rejo
Speaker of Parliament