Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veto - B-004: Marijuana Legalization Act
By the power vested in me by the Aldurian Constitution, in Title II, Article 19, I send B-004: Marijuana Legalization Act back to Parliament to reconsider this bill.

I ask Parliament to make cannabis legal for medicinal purposes, for research, and for the manufacture of hemp and hemp-derived products. I would favor decriminalization at the most, but not outright full legalization.
 Fully allowing recreational marijuana use would make it far too accessible and, as a result, expand its use and misuse. The major concern is that letting for-profit businesses market and sell cannabis may lead them to market aggressively to heavy pot users, who may have a drug problem. This is similar to what’s happened in the alcohol and tobacco industries in many places outside of Alduria, where companies make much of their profits from users with serious addiction issues. Adding a for-profit incentive to marijuana will be harmful to the public health and morality of Alduria.

I do wish to convey that nonviolent marijuana users should not be incarcerated for the drug. It is not the intent of this administration to wage a war on pot. Punitive criminal justice policies are far too costly and help contribute to the mass incarceration of Aldurians.
Alejandro Jose Campos
1st President of the Republic of Alduria (1669-1678)
Independent (1677 - )
National-Liberal Alliance (1669-1677)