Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Press Conference: L&D-DFL Confidence Agreement
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm pleased to announce that a Confidence agreement has been forged between the Liberty & Democracy party and the Democratic-Farmer-Labour party. Under the terms of the agreement, DFL will support the Government on all motions of confidence. In addition, DFL will support the Government on bills relating to national security and infrastructure, and will back a Government amendment to the Constitution to enshrine the Law of Graces with Constitutional protection. The DFL will also support Speaker Rejo's re-election so she can continue her stellar work as Speaker of Parliament. Additionally, DFL will abstain on votes related to the Government's opening of Parliament, as well as any budget or finance bills. 

In order to effectuate a good working relationship between our parties, the Government will provide the DFL with one docket pick every other docket so that DFL can put forward legislation for Parliament to consider. The L&D party gives no commitment to support these bills, but we are hopeful that the DFL will take advantage of this docket access to put forward bills that can obtain bi-partisan support.

While it is always my preference to have a majority or coalition Government, I believe this agreement is best for both of our parties and the Aldurian people. Without the constraints of a coalition, the Liberty & Democracy party can put forward an agenda that stays true to the values that our voters share. While not all of our legislation may be able to pass this Parliament, we will ensure that we have debates and votes on these important issues. We will also be able to ensure that a fully L&D Cabinet can deliver on the promises that were made during our election campaign.

I look forward to what should prove to be an interesting session. We will do all we can to work with all parties in Parliament to serve the Aldurian people and build consensus--but we also look forward to the opportunity to better articulate our vision for a freer and more prosperous Alduria.

I'm happy to take any questions anyone may have.
Alfonso Velez, MP
Liberty and Democracy Party
Leader of the Opposition
CEO of 4Hire and Velez Investments
Former Prime Minister of The Republic of Alduria (1672-1682)