Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV Debate Questions
1 Alduria has many regional ethnic, religious, and linguistic minorities. How should we protect them and integrate them into Aldurian society?

Alduria is a great melting pot of diverse cultures and beliefs who have come together to forge our great Republic. Our Government will work to continue to protect minorities and celebrate our shared diversity. We recognize that our diversity makes us stronger--not weaker--and that we find unity in our differing backgrounds rather than divisiveness. One concrete action we’ll be taking is to enshrine the Law of the Graces into the Constitution to ensure that no future extremist Government will threaten immigration of future citizens who wish to contribute to our Republic. This Government will continue to protect the rights of all citizens, and encourage them to be constructive participants in society and will always stand against any attempts to suppress or limit their rights and freedoms.

2 The world of Micras is very complicated. What is the role you see for Alduria in the community of nations?

Alduria will continue to remain a vibrant trading partner in Micras. We will continue to promote trade-friendly policies that will ensure good relations with our neighbors. I strongly believe that a key component of world peace is trade. We will continue to forge new trade relationships and deepen our friendly relations with the nations of Micras. I look forward to Alduria continue to strengthen our bonds with other nations throughout Micras and continue to establish itself as a peaceful nation of trade. We will continue to avoid involvement in unnecessary foreign entanglements by putting the needs of Alduria first and foremost. We will not isolate ourselves from Micras and will always be active participants on the world stage and good neighbors--but we will always steer clear of becoming involved in entanglements that do not concern our national interests and security.

3 Do you think the Law of Graces should remain?

Yes, our Republic is made stronger by the contributions of immigrants from all across Micras. Our great Republic would not be what it is today without the hard working contributions of so many who came to these shores from elsewhere. We must ensure that the Grace that has so benefited our society remains. That is why this Government is taking the important step of codifying the Law of Graces into the Constitution so that an extremist Government could not easily undo this important Aldurian value. This Government will always welcome anyone to these shores who is committed to Aldurian values and to strengthening the Republic.

4 Do you think Alduria should limit immigration?

No. Our Republic is made stronger by immigration, not weaker. We are a country that has literally been built by immigrants and we will only be strengthened by further immigration. The only limits that should be placed on immigration are preventing persons with certain criminal records from entering our Republic or preventing individuals who represent a clear and present danger to the Republic or National Security from entering our shores. We will ensure that a common-sense immigration system is integrated and protected into the Constitution that will achieve this proper balance.

5 Do you think immigrants enrich our country or harm our country?

Again, we are a country made stronger by immigration, not weaker. The diverse views and backgrounds that people bring with them to Alduria encourage innovation and collaboration. The hard work put into this Republic by hard working business-owners, craftspersons, labourers, etc. strengthens our Republic and helps enrich our economy and culture. We must continue to welcome everyone to our shores who is committed to strengthening this Republic.

6 What kind of health care system do you envision as ideal for Alduria and its people?

This Government will ensure that healthcare decisions remain completely in your control. In order to do this, we will continue to support private insurance plans. We will take steps to ensure that the insurance market remains competitive so that the quality of these plans remains high and prices remain low. By fostering more private competition, we can drive down healthcare costs and improve the quality of service for all Aldurians. We will also take greater steps to regulate the market to ensure that citizens receive the coverage they need and deserve. We will also provide subsidies for low-income families to ensure that every Aldurian is able to obtain health insurance--but we will ensure that the decision on what insurance policy best meets their needs remains with them.

7 Oil and gas are key and strategic Aldurian industries. What do you think about government ownership of those industries?

This Government recognizes the value in private-public partnerships in all areas of infrastructure and commerce--and the oil industry is no different. This Government will work to gradually involve private companies in our oil industries, but will do so in a careful way that will give private companies shares in no more than 40% of our oil industry. This solution will have the benefit of both the public and private worlds. Our citizens will continue to control our oil supply, but we will also benefit from private investment and innovation which, in turn, will stimulate our economy and bring jobs and prosperity to our citizens. 

8 Would you consider yourself tech-optimistic or tech-pessimistic? Do you think technology can help Alduria become a better and more prosperous society?

As an owner of many technology businesses, it comes as no surprise that I’m tech-optimistic! Technology has already transformed our lives for the better in so many ways and in so many areas. Whether it’s healthcare, dating, social engagement, transportation--or anything, really, technology has impacted our lives in so many ways. I believe that technology will continue to strengthen all of us and our society. By working hard to be early adopters to technology change, we can ensure that Alduria will always be at the forefront of cutting-edge technology--and can also establish itself as a leader in job creation in this industry which can only benefit our society and our economy.

9 Do you support same-sex marriage? Why or why not?

It’ll come as no surprise that I support same-sex marriage! I haven’t found the right guy yet--I’m pretty much married to my job right now--but at some point, I want to marry the man that I hope to one day meet and fall in love with. I’m proud that our party led and won the fight to legalize same-sex marriage so that all Aldurians can marry the person that they love. I’m also proud that we have ensured that religious organizations can decide for themselves whether or not to conduct same-sex marriages. This Government respects the right of all religions to act in accordance with their tenants and convictions--while also respecting the right of all people to have their love recognized and legalized by the Government.

10 Do you think Alduria should remain neutral? If not, do you think it should join the Raspur Pact or the USSO?

I believe that Alduria should always put the needs of Alduria first. As a consequence of this belief, it has been in our interests to remain neutral yet engaged in the international community. At this time, I believe it remains in the best interest of our Republic not to formally become involved in either the Raspur Pact or the USSO. This does not mean that we should be isolated from Micras however. We can and will continue to be active in the international community and work hard to ensure that trade and peace are maintained throughout Micras. We will only break our neutrality, however, if our national security or interests are threatened.

11What kind of educational system do you envision as ideal for Alduria?

I believe that local governments are best equipped to deal with our educational system. What works here in the Capital may not work well in Susa and vice-versa. Also, greater local control of education gives parents a greater say in what their children learn and what priorities should be allocated to curriculums. I support the national Government funding locally-directed educational systems which, in my view, is the best of both worlds. We will give communities the resources to educate the future leaders of Alduria and will ensure that parents and local government have the most say about education--not unelected bureaucrats in Punta Santiago. The Government will take action to formalize this funding solution in legislation during this Parliament to ensure that every Aldurian child gets access to a quality education.

12 Do you think greater integration and cooperation with our Euran neighbors like Constancia and the Florian Republic is a good or bad step for Alduria?

I strongly support greater cooperation and trade integration with all of our Euran neighbors. Any step that we can take in furthering good relations and trade with our neighbors is good for our Republic--and this Government will continue to promote these aims in the coming years.

13 What economic policies would you put in place to grow Alduria’s economy?

We will be taking action in Parliament to help support small businesses. Small businesses form the backbone of our economy, and by strengthening these enterprises and ensuring that Alduria remains a business-friendly environment where they can thrive, we can further strengthen our economy. Legislation will be presented to remove cumbersome regulations that are expensive and difficult for small businesses to comply with. This Government will also establish a program of offering interest-free loans to small businesses to help our nation’s next generation of entrepreneurs thrive and create jobs which will further strengthen our economy.

14 What would you do to combat income inequality?

By introducing a minimum wage, this Government will take an important step in ensuring that all citizens of Alduria can share in our prosperity. The increase in wages for working and middle class Aldurians will also have the effect of strengthening our economy. Higher wages mean more consumer spending which creates jobs. It’s a cycle that benefits everyone, and this Government will introduce legislation and policies that will protect and strengthen this cycle of prosperity.

15 What are your thoughts on the recent DSP-LDP coalition and its agenda?

I’m very proud of the agenda that we have managed to agree to. This coalition takes the best aspects of both of our platforms and puts together a strong agenda that will strengthen the Republic and its people. I’m particularly pleased in the way we have been able to come together to ensure that our economy remains strong while also taking care of the poorest and most needy in our society. We can and we will come together to ensure that all Aldurians can enjoy liberty and prosperity, and I look forward to working with the DSP to deliver on our promises.

16 What will you and your party do in Parliament in this session?

We will take concrete steps to strengthen our economy and support small businesses. We will also ensure that all Aldurians have access to high-quality healthcare--and that control over their healthcare decisions remains with them and not by any Government agency. We will fight hard to enshrine the Law of the Graces into the Constitution so that future generations of immigrants can continue to strengthen our economy. We will continue to fight hard for the liberty of people to run and govern their own lives. We will take steps to ensure that the next generation of Aldurians receive the education that they deserve. We will continue to empower local and provincial governments to have greater powers to govern themselves. These are just some of the many bills that I look forward to presenting in this next session of Parliament. I look forward to working with all members of Parliament on taking steps to strengthen this Republic and the Aldurian people.

17 With our water crisis behind us, what other measures do you think can be implemented to ensure water security for our country?

One of the signature achievements of the Government during the last Parliament was the creation of the Water Crisis Act which took decisive action to not only address the immediate threat of the water crisis, but to ensure that it will never happen again in the future. We will continue to build on this success by working closely with the Central Water Commission to ensure that our water supplies remain viable and accessible to all citizens of the Republic. We will also partner closely with local Governments to promote water conservation efforts to ensure that all citizens use water wisely. Through greater public information about water conservation, we can take great steps forward to ensure that this crisis never occurs again in the future. I look forward to working with the Central Water Commission and with stakeholders to achieve this goal.
Alfonso Velez, MP
Liberty and Democracy Party
Leader of the Opposition
CEO of 4Hire and Velez Investments
Former Prime Minister of The Republic of Alduria (1672-1682)

Messages In This Thread
TV Debate Questions - by Marco Zimmer - 12-02-2019, 05:19 PM
RE: TV Debate Questions - by Recks - 12-03-2019, 02:07 PM
RE: TV Debate Questions - by Alfonso Velez - 12-03-2019, 02:55 PM
RE: TV Debate Questions - by Marco Zimmer - 12-03-2019, 06:54 PM
RE: TV Debate Questions - by Alduria - 12-08-2019, 01:36 PM