Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Velez Farewell Address
Velez walks out of 21 North Carriage Street for the final time, walking up to a podium set up in front of the entrance where a large gaggle of press have assembled:

Good Morning everyone--thank you for being here today. After I finish this address, I will be meeting the President and submitting my resignation as Prime Minister and offering the resignation of the Cabinet. I will furthermore be advising him to invite Mr. Zimmer to form a Government. I congratulate Mr. Zimmer on obtaining a plurality in the last election. I look forward to spirited discussions and debates in the next Parliament.

While the election was very close, the voters have made clear that they want to see a new direction in Alduria. We of the Liberty & Democracy party respect the Democratic will of the people above all else. As I made clear on election night, this Government will stand aside and provide DSP with every opportunity to form a Government. 

After much discussion, I have agreed to an arrangement with the DSP whereby we will abstain from the initial confidence motion, allowing DSP to form a minority Government. While a coalition Government or Confidence & Supply agreement are always preferable to maintaining a stable Government, I and the L&D party have no trust that we could enter into a formal coalition or agreement with Mr. Zimmer given our experiences during the last coalition. Nevertheless, we are cognizant of our important role as the 2nd largest party to ensure that a Government can be formed that expresses the will of the people--which is why we will enter into this very limited agreement in order to ensure Mr. Zimmer and the DSP have a chance to govern. All that has been given in return for this limited support is the commitment that DSP will back the re-election of Speaker Rejo as Speaker of Parliament who, I think everyone will agree, has served that body well over the past decade.

I leave Carriage Street with no regrets knowing that I have left this role with a Republic that is stronger, freer, and more prosperous than when I arrived. My tenure over the past decade has not been perfect--but I am proud of the many things that we have accomplished together. I am deeply grateful to the people of Alduria for bestowing their trust and confidence with me all this time. I also wish to thank the many MPs in my own party and in many other parties who have made our vision for a better Alduria come into reality. I’m proud of what we’ve accomplished when it comes to the economy, equality, freedom, strengthening the armed forces, water access, justice--just to name a few successes. 

I assure the people of Alduria that the L&D party will continue to fight hard for liberty and democracy in Parliament in Opposition--and I also assure the people that the L&D party will be reasonable and will, at every opportunity, seek to forge compromises with the new Government to ensure that the important business of the people is done in the best way--while keeping to the central tenants of our beliefs. While the lack of a formal coalition may be a source of anxiety for many, I believe it is a good opportunity for all our citizens. Every bill will rely on the support of at least one other party in order to pass--which will necessitate compromises which will provide balance and a diversity of perspective to our legislation.

I wish Mr. Zimmer and the DSP all the best, and I am grateful for being able to serve my Republic for the past decade as Prime Minister. God Save the Republic!

Velez turns back to 10 North Carriage Street taking a final look at his residence for the last decade, then turns to the cameras and smiles, waiving as he walks over to a waiting motorcade ready to take him to see the President of the Republic.
Alfonso Velez, MP
Liberty and Democracy Party
Leader of the Opposition
CEO of 4Hire and Velez Investments
Former Prime Minister of The Republic of Alduria (1672-1682)