Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2nd Aldurian General Elections [1678 / Nov 2019]
This thread will contain all the important announcements, rules, and FYIs for the upcoming Aldurian general election in 1678 AN (November 2019), which includes:
  • Presidential elections;
  • Parliamentary elections.
ELECTION SCHEDULE (in ET time: deadlines closing at 11:59 pm ET)
  • Candidacy papers open for President and Parliament: Mon Oct 28;
  • Candidacy papers close, pre-polls released, pre-election write up: Sun Nov 3;
  • First day of election: Mon Nov 4;
    1. Political platforms are posted by the parties for presidential candidates (if needed) and for Parliament;
    2. Campaign kickoff speeches by participants.
  • Campaigning: Nov Tue 5 - Fri Nov 8;
  • Last day of election: Sat Nov 9;
    1. Closing campaign events, closing speeches by participants.
  • Results: Sun Nov 10.
    1. Live results chat in the Discord server.
FOR REFERENCE:
YOU CAN NOW FILE YOUR CANDIDACY PAPERS!

I've decided to open these earlier than originally planned to help people plan for the elections. Other than opening filing early, the election calendar stays the same.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Well, since I have your attention - FLASHY GIF! - let me provide you with the all-encompassing post containing information about Alduria's second general election!

(10-13-2019, 07:29 PM)Alduria Wrote:
Calendar
CALENDAR
ELECTION SCHEDULE
(in ET time: deadlines closing at 11:59 pm ET)
  • Candidacy papers open for President and Parliament: Mon Oct 28;
  • Candidacy papers close for President, pre-polls released, pre-election write up: Sun Nov 3;
  • First day of election: Mon Nov 4;
    1. Political platforms are posted by the parties for presidential candidates (if needed) and for Parliament;
    2. Campaign kickoff speeches by participants.
  • Campaigning: Nov Tue 5 - Fri Nov 8;
  • Mid-polls and feedback, candidacy papers close for Parliament: Wed Nov 6;
  • Last day of election: Sat Nov 9;
    1. Closing campaign events, closing speeches by participants.
  • Results: Sun Nov 10.
    1. Live results chat in the Discord server.

(10-13-2019, 07:55 PM)Alduria Wrote:
Reference Links
FOR REFERENCE:  

Quote:
Candidacy Papers

So, no changes in the calendar except that your candidacy papers can be filed early, you can do it in the following threads: To participate in the election as a candidate (Parliament or President), you will need to be an Aldurian citizen (have signed in) and file your candidacy papers in the appropriate thread.

Presidential candidacy papers will close on Sunday November 3, by 11:59pm ET.

Parliamentary candidacy papers will close on mid-poll day, Wed November 6, by 11:59pm ET.            

Quote:
Election Timing, Activity Requirements

This time around, we've reduced the election time with the aim of doing a condensed dose of activity over one week compared to the last election which took place over several weeks. Here's some things to keep in mind:
  • By the end of the first day of the election (Mon Nov. 4, 11:59pm ET), all presidential candidates and political parties will need to have submitted their campaign platforms and starting speeches or ads.
  • Political parties and presidential candidates can submit one platform together, or they can each submit their own. In the case of the latter, there's expectation that they would be overall very well aligned and with no contradictions, generally. This will be resolved internally in parties, of course - but just watch out to make sure the messaging and the goals are in sync as that makes for a stronger campaign nationally.
  • Each participant in the election (people that have filed their candidacy papers) shall have to make a starting speech on the first day of the election - imagine this as a kick-off speech for your campaign. This can be a chance for you to describe what you're for, and create a general narrative for you and what you'll do. Work in elements from the party platform, try to aim a little for the audience. Look at the polls, take a look at what people have ranked as their concerns and address them genuinely and meaningfully.
  • You can start running ads on day one of the election. Use ads as an opportunity to present to voters what you will do once in office and promote your party and its platform. You can always run attack ads and whatever other kind of ad on day one - that's okay. But you should definitely consider using an ad as an opportunity to introduce yourself and your party's platform.
  • The campaigning period (Tue Nov 5 - Fri Nov 8, 11:59pm ET) will be a chance for the parties to fight the campaign! You can throw as many speeches, ads, billboards, or political events out during this time. Quality speeches and ads will be the kind that connect the party platform to an articulated vision for voters. Tell them how you'll be better than the competition. Tell voters what is at stake in the election. There's room for negative campaigning, of course - use that as you wish. But it should be mentioned that there's a risk to negative campaigning, it can backfire and elicit stronger negative impressions from voters of you if that is your constant focus. Remember you have ads! 
  • Mid-polls and feedback will be posted on Wed November 6, by 11:59pm ET.
  • Candidacy papers will be open throughout the election for people to jump in and participate. The later you file, the less time you will have to mount a meaningful and impactful campaign. Each contribution by individual participants boost their party and their personal brand both, so the more people contribute and campaign, the better their percentages will be. Consistency in quality of the continent will earn you more support.
  • By the end of the last day of the election (Sat November 9, by 11:59pm ET), you will need to submit your closing events, ads, and speeches. These will be opportunities for you to address any criticisms and to deliver a final articulated vision to voters for what Alduria will be like with you in Parliament and your party in power.

Quote:
Presidential Campaigns
  • Parliamentary candidates and Prime Ministers in waiting should speak and campaign on foreign policy matters. But everyone will be looking up to guidance and tone from the party's presidential candidate. The presidential candidate should be speaking often on foreign policy, especially on how they will use the President's wide treaty-making powers.
  • Parties won't need to field a presidential candidate if they can't pull it off. Parties can nominate an NPC if they want, but submitting an NPC means having to campaign for President as well. Not nominating a candidate enables parties to make deals with other parties for endorsements of candidates. These will be announced by parties in a joint campaign event.
  • Presidential candidates serve as an important party leader in the eyes of voters, whether they are the actual leader of a party or not. It wil be very awkward for a presidential candidate to say one thing and for the parliamentary campaigners to say another. Coordinate messages and work together.

Quote:
Parliamentary Campaigns
  • Participants should take opportunities when possible to remind voters of key votes and legislative achievements in this last session of Parliament.
  • Attacks on whether someone was active or a party was active in Parliament are lazy and won't get you far.
  • Consider making posts describing the activities of other campaigners and party surrogates. You can create NPC's within your party within reason. I will tell you if you step out of line - just go for it and I'll let you know if you've stepped out of line and give you a chance to amend or change things without penalty.
  • I understand that it can be too much to commit to posting something every day. But all participants should try to post something every day of campaigning. Failing to do so will result in your polls starting to reflect it. Think of it as the more active and engaged you are, the more your voters will solidify behind you and your party and the more you boost/motivate your base of support.
  • Make your ads effective. Don't just make a poster saying "Vote for me" - you got to provide some information or have some sort of image that evokes a reaction and has meaning, a message.  Ads can be very effective in defining a narrative and changing impressions in voters. Don't waste them.

On storylines that are unresolved

I have been very busy lately with work and my inspiration to write and do things is at a really low point at the moment.

Moving forward, we can assume the following things:
  • The Movement for Alduria and the National-Liberal Alliance have merged into a grand tent for the right-wing/conservatives, with Mr. Paredes at the helm as leader.
  • The strike was avoided with a temporary contract that has both sides conceding a little, but the big win was that companies have instead opted to offer employees benefits and moderate its designation of independent contractors a bit. The shippers have increased their prices a bit, which will be passed on to consumers.
It's Election Day in Alduria!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Woohoo! A couple of things:
  • Join us for the release of results on our Discord serverhttps://discord.gg/ADyRCuH
  • The official results shall be posted in the forum later today or early tomorrow, Mon Nov 11.
  • I want to thank everyone that participated in this election, the level of quality of events and speeches was high. I was impressed with the efforts of everyone involved. Now, after this election is over I want to have a Q&A like we did at the last one where I take in feedback on how to improve for the next elections. Please think of new ideas or specific ways I can improve moving forward to share in that Q&A.
  • Possible spoiler alert, but a heads up: - There's going to be a second round for President. - Candidates will get to campaign for three more days. The second round of the presidential election shall be held over Wed Nov 13 and Fri Nov 15, with results on Saturday Nov 16. There will be a break in between where campaigns can take a break and reassess how they will campaign in the second round. Parties and candidates that did not advance to the second round can endorse a candidate - whether that's negotiated or a deal is struck with someone... you can sort that out for yourselves.  You'd announce that at a campaign event during the election, the form of that announcement is up to you.
  • Due to my recent health issues, I will be doing a relatively pared-down results chat today where I will release the results here first and then later post in the forums. I will provide an analysis later on (Mon or Tues) of the results. Normally, the election live results chat takes up my entire day and I'd like to rest and get ready to go back to work tomorrow.
  • This brings me to my next point - at some point soon, I will be looking for someone to be a Co-Administrator of Alduria, someone who will help me administer the simulation, create news content and new political scenarios, and aid in moderating the forums and the Discord server. This also includes approving/handling citizenship applications (mainly checking to preserve canon and weed out anything crazy, maintain realism). I will announce further details on getting a Co-Administrator to help soon.